I think the title the Five Rules of Digital Marketing may be a but misleading. May we should consider this post more along the lines of Constraints of Digital Marketing or Principles, but I think you know where this is going. I am going to spout off some marketing rhetoric in hopes people understand how we do things. Right?
No. This articles outlines the Trinity Web Media approach to content marketing, social media management and all things digital marketing. This is the exact playbook we run with.
Rules of Digital Marketing
1. Stop chasing vanity metrics. The easiest way to stop the vicious cycle of vanity metrics is by knowing what really matters to your business. Do followers, page shares, bounce rate or downloads really move the needle for your business? Maybe…but do you know that for certain. We know conversion, cost per acquisition, and return on investment move the needle for the business. Focus your attention on these metrics and measure and iterate accordingly.
PODCAST: The New Marketing Show — Stop Chasing Vanity Metrics
2. Create content for your audience. Ever read an article an nothing makes sense other than the author tried really hard to impress a humanless algorithm? That stuff sucks. Stop writing to be found for search and start writing for your audience personas. Digital marketing and everything that goes into the discipline is person to person practice. The brands and companies that win are the ones who understand what community (persona) they serve and construct content and their message accordingly.
BLOG POST: How To Write Blog Posts People Will Read
PODCAST: Finding Your Audience with Susan Baier of Audience Audit
3. Stop Selling and Start Solving Problems: No one wants to read a long sales pitch of why their XYZ is better than Acme’s XYZ. Trust me, no one. Marketing is all about positioning. If you position your company as helpful and a problem solving resource you already won. No one ever wants to be sold to over and over, but they want business problems solved. It’s ok to mention what you do and who you help, but beating it to death in every video, podcast, blog post and social media post is pointless and a waste of everyone’s time. Be authentic, be helpful, and become a trusted expert partner.
VIDEO: Stop Selling, Start Solving Problems | Part One | Part Two
4. Know your positioning (and know what problems you solve.) Let your content perfectly illustrate your position and what problems your product, service or brand solves. Let this be your content’s North Star. Everything you do should be a continuous reflection of how you serve your clients. When it comes to brand messaging and positioning always make sure it’s clear concise and something everyone can understand. Do not try to be all things to all people, it’s impossible, unless you are ok with being nothing to no one.
VIDEO: Know Your Positioning
5. Be real and unapologetically yourself. Be who you are even if it means going against the grain. Every piece of your WordPress website or content marketing or social media presence should always represent exactly who you are. If you are phony you are destined to be exposed as such. Remember, this is your content and not any other Marketing Celebrity’s content — be you and have an opinion. I know this is a tough one, and you will be tempted to mimc what other people do, but stay true to your brand — there is someone out there you will connect with.
PODCAST: The Value of Authenticity
These basic rules of digital marketing sets the stage for everything you do. Your WordPress Developer should understand these items. You content marketing company and social media manager need to buy into your basic principles. When everyone is on the same page, you can enter into a truly collaborative relation with your digital marketing agency. This is where success for everyone occurs — and it is all worth it.